Insomnia is the condition when an individual feels sleeping problems like – difficulty in falling asleep, non-restful sleep or awakening at midnight. There are many ways through which people can treat their problem. Here you will get information that how to treat insomnia naturally without medication.
Insomnia is a very common health problem and can be chronic or acute. Chronic sleep deprivation can cause fatigue, daytime sleepiness, clumsiness, and weight loss or weight gain. It adversely affects cognitive function, too.
What is Microsleep – Microsleep is a brief and unintended episode which may occur when a person is fatigued but is trying to stay awake. Microsleep can be very dangerous if one is driving.
The tendency to fall asleep whenever in relaxing surrounding is called narcolepsy.
Finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning is a real condition called dystonia which may signal a nutritional deficiency or depression.
Obstructive sleep apnoea is a serious sleep disorder that causes the temporary cessation of breathing in sleep.
How to treat insomnia naturally without medication
There are effective ways which help you to get sound sleep or get rid off of insomnia.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day, including the weekend.
- Naps during a day can make it more difficult to sleep at night. If a must, limit it to 30 minutes.
- Turn off screen one hour before bedtime.
- Limit caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. Do not drink caffeinated beverages before bed. Alcohol interferes with the quality of sleep, and nicotine is a stimulant.
- Avoid heavy and rich food within two hours of bed. Fatty food is a lot of work for the stomach and spicy or acidic food can cause heartburn and interfere with sleep.
- Regular exercise can improve the symptoms of insomnia. Aim for 30 minutes or more physical activity on most days.
- Make sure the bedroom is quiet, dark and comfortable.
- Breathing exercise, meditation, and yoga all help in stress relief.
- Progressive Muscles Relaxation: Start with your feet, tense the muscles as tightly as you can. Hold for a count of 10, and then relax. Do this for every muscle group, working your way up to the top of your head.
- If a great idea is keeping you awake, make a note of it and postpone thinking about it until morning.
- Do not consume sleep-inducing medications without doctors advice. Seek doctor’s opinion if insomnia worsens
All these above points will make you understand how to treat insomnia naturally without medication.
What are the Causes of Insomnia
- Diet and lack of exercise or less physical activities.
- Psychological and emotional stress. Anxiety and depressions are the two most common causes of chronic insomnia.
- Medical conditions or illnesses like pain, digestion disorder or asthma.
- Many prescriptions medications may interfere with proper sleep.
- Jet lag or late night shift work.
- Caffeinated beverages within eight hours of bed.
- The excess TV and computer screen viewing and using mobile phones.
- Too much light or noise in the sleep environment.
- A different bed or sleep environment.
Most of the above-mentioned causes are related to lifestyle. It can be changed if you want to get rid of insomnia.
If insomnia is not treated it affects your health badly. That is why everybody should know how to treat insomnia naturally without medication.
What Insomnia Does
Immune System: Certain cytokines need to increase in the event of infections or inflammations, or stress. Sleep deprivation may decrease the production of these cytokines(proteins secreted by certain immune systems cells that play a vital role in regulating immunity and inflammations)
Respiratory Systems: A week immune systems make one vulnerable to respiratory problems like the common cold and influenza.
Risk of Diabetes: Sleep deprivation prompts your body to release more insulin after you eat, promoting fat storage and increasing your risk of developing type-2-diabetes.
Digestive System: Lack of sleep increase production of the stress hormone cortisol and lower the level of the hormone leptin, which signals satiety to the brain.
Cardiovascular System: Weight gain leads to increases risk of high blood pressure, heart diseases, and stroke.
Central Nervous System: Lack of sleep interferes with your ability to concentrate and learn. It can impair memory and gets in the way of decision making and creativity. The sleep-deprived are more likely to have mood swings and hallucinations.
Sex Drive: Sleep deprived men and women report less interest in sex.
If people do not know how to treat insomnia naturally without medication and they have problems with insomnia. Then they should aware or get information first how to treat insomnia naturally without medication.
As well as people who have the sleeping problem they should consult the Doctors to get the best advice.
I am sure that this article will help you to know how to treat insomnia naturally without medication, causes and risk factors of Insomnia.
You can also read – What is Insomnia? How can it affect to Your Sleep?
For Any Health-related information visit – Dixit Health Learning
Your valuable feedbacks are always welcome.