Top 10 Best Treatment for Kidney Stones and Their Symptoms
Know About Kidney Stones:
If you have problems like – Lower Abdominal pain or lower back pain, nausea, vomiting, painful urination, blood in urine then there may be chances of kidney stones. Kidney Stone is nothing, it is calculi which occurs when minerals and salts mainly calcium oxalate accumulation in the kidney and create the hard deposit.
Kidney stone stays in kidney but it may affect the overall urinary tract. It is very important to get the best treatment for kidney stones on time otherwise it creates complication like -sepsis, blocked ureter etc..
It has found in many cases that Dehydration is one of the main cause of Kidney stones formation. When anybody drinks less water or other liquid then there are chances of minerals and salts compound close together and form calculi.
Kind of best treatment for kidney stones depends on the size of the stone.
Small stones can pass easily through urine without pain or symptoms of pain but medium or large stone require treatment.
This Article contains information like –
- What is Kidney Stone?
- Causes of Kidney Stone?
- Symptoms of Kidney Stones.
- Top 10 Best Treatment for Kidney Stones Naturally.
- Surgical Treatment of Kidney Stones.
- Foods that need to avoid for Kidney stone patients.
What is Kidney Stones:
Kidneys function as filters in the body that remove metabolic waste material, extra dietary minerals and water from the body as urine. These dietary minerals include calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, sodium, magnesium etc. Sometimes these minerals form crystals that clump together to make hard rock-like stones of varying sizes and shapes in the kidney.
The size of crystals may be similar to that of the grain of sand and as big as a golfer’s ball. Typically, small kidney stones pass unnoticed out of the body through urine, but larger ones may block the ureter (a tube which connects the kidney to the bladder) causing severe pain, blood, and pus in the urine.
Cause of Kidney Stones:
Kidney stones are formed when certain substances present in urine like calcium oxalate, uric acid, etc. get crystallized and clump together to form a kidney stone.
This may be caused due to:
- Hypercalciuria: A condition that runs in families in which urine contains unusually large amounts of calcium; this is the most common condition found in those who form calcium stones
- A family history of kidney stones
- Cystic kidney disease: In this disease fluid-filled sacs are formed in the kidneys
- Hyperparathyroidism: A condition in which the parathyroid glands, which are four pea-sized glands located in the neck, release too much hormone, causing extra calcium in the blood
- Renal tubular acidosis: A disease that occurs when the kidneys fail to excrete acids into the urine, which causes a person’s blood acidic
- Cystinuria: A condition in which urine contains high levels of the amino acid cysteine
- Hyperoxaluria: A condition in which urine contains unusually large amounts of oxalate
- Hyperuricosuria: A disorder of uric acid metabolism
- Gout: A disorder that causes painful swelling of the joints
Symptoms of Kidney Stones-
These are symptoms which give the indication about kidney stones are as follows –
- Severe pain in the abdomen, in back or sides
- Pain may move to groin area or testicles
- Blood in urine
- Pain and burning sensation while urinating
- Fever and chills
- Urine which smells bad or looks cloudy in color
- Frequent urination
If you have this kind of problem, immediately consult with your Doctor to get the best treatment for kidney stones.
Top 10 Best Treatment for Kidney Stones
There are home remedies or natural remedies for the kidney stone, but the best idea is to first talk to your Doctor and take consultancy. Many medications like – antibiotics, liver medicines or diuretic medicines can affect negatively with natural remedies.
Top 10 Natural Remedies are as follows –
1. Drink Enough Water –Drinking enough water is the best practice to prevent stone formation.
drinking enough water means the 8-12 glass of water per day may help to pass the stones or gives the movement of minerals and salts and prevent calculi formation.
2. Drink Lemon Juice –Lemon Juice contains citrate, citrate is the compound which is helpful for the breakdown of stones, Drink lemon juice is also helpful to inhibit the faster growth of stone.
You should make lemon juice from the fresh lemon because ready-made lemon juice packet contains less amount of lemon juice.
Take Lemon Juice morning and night before breakfast and dinner respectively which is helpful to remove kidney stones.
3.Apple Cider Vinegar- Apple cider Vinegar contain citric acid which is helpful to dissolve the kidney stones and also reduce the kidney stones symptoms. It can be taken several times.
Apple cider vinegar juice is not advisable if you are taking insulin.
4. Pomegranate Juice – Pomegranate Juice is very beneficial for your overall kidney health as well as it is also helpful to flush the stones.
Pomegranate Juice is very helpful to reduce the urine acid level which prevents the stone formation in future.
Juice of Pomegranate is prohibited if you have –
- Liver problems and taking medications
- If you are taking blood pressure medications.
- If you are taking Rosuvastatin
5.Basil Juice – Basil Juice contain acetic acid which is helpful to break down the kidney stones.
Basil Juice is also helpful to reduce the urine acid level which prevents the stone formation in future.
You can take the fresh or dried leaf of Basil or you can make tea also.
Extensive use of Basil juice may cause low blood sugar or blood pressure.
6. Wheat Gram Juice – Wheat Gram Juice is good for your health as it is packed with good amount of nutrient.
Wheat Gram Juice increases the urine formation which allows to pass stones or provide the movement to stones.
To prevent the side effect of Wheat Gram Juice, start taking the small amount of juice and increase gradually.
7.Celery Juice – Celery juice contains antioxidant and compound which increase urine productions, urine flow and gives the movement to stones.
It reduces the chances of developing kidney stones as well as it is also good for health as it contains antioxidant.
8.Kidney Bean Broth – Kidney Bean Broth is very helpful to dissolve or flush out the kidney stones.
9.Dandelion Root Juice – Dandelion root juice is good for overall health of Kidney as it stimulates the bile production.
Bile is also helpful to eliminate waste or increase the production of urine and also strengthen the digestion.
Dandelion juice also is good for your overall Health as it contains Potassium, zinc, and vitamins Like A, B, C, and D which
You should avoid this drink if you are taking- Antacids, Antibiotics and Diuretics medicine.
10. Obesity, Carbonated, Caffeinated and Alcoholic Drink can increase the chance of developing kidney stones and hence stop drinking this drink for the prevention.
All the above natural remedies are very helpful as it is the best treatment for kidney stones.
Kidney stones can be removed by surgery if the size of the stone is abnormal.
There are different Kinds of Surgery that Doctors Do are as follows –
- ESWL (Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy) – In this procedure Doctors use sound wave for the vibration that breaks the stones into small particles that pass out through urine.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy – It is a surgical method to remove very large size stone. In this procedure, Doctors use small telescope and instrument inserted through a small hole in your back.
Prevention of kidney stones may include:
- Drink at least 8 to10 glasses of water a day
- Choose a diet low in salt, but high in citrate and magnesium levels
- Limit the intake of Vitamin C
- Avoid drinking soft drinks and taking the excess of calcium supplements
Diagnosis involves taking the patient’s history, conducting a physical examination, urine tests, X-ray and CT scan.
Almost 98% of small stones (less than 5 mm in diameter) usually pass through the urine on their own. Hence, doctors recommend increasing fluid intake to help flush out small stones from the kidneys. Drinking about (2 to 3 liters) of water a day helps in doing so.
Other treatments include:
- Expulsive therapy- To speed up passage of ureteral calculi
- Citrates- They help dissolve the kidney stones
- Painkillers- Pain can be acute and adversely affects day-to-day activities, hence taking painkillers may give some relief
- Medicines- Other agents, including alpha adrenergic blockers (such as tamsulosin) and calcium channel blockers (such as nifedipine), have also been found to be effective in the expulsion of kidney stones
- Shockwave therapy (lithotripsy) may be given to break stones into smaller pieces which easily get flushed out in the urine
Surgery may be needed if:
- Stone is too large to pass out on its own
- There is blockage of urine flow due to stone causing infection or kidney damage
- Pain cannot be controlled by medicines
Foods that need to avoid by Kidney stone person-
There are foods which increase the risk of Kidney stones are as follows
- Potatoes Chips
- Bran Flakes
Points to Remember:
- Make a conscious effort to drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Make dietary changes such as low intake of animal proteins, salt, and sugary foods
- Take a magnesium-rich diet which inhibits the process of stone formation
- Increase intake of citrate-rich drinks such as lemonade and orange juice
- Take medicine as per doctor’s advice
After reading this article you become aware of the kidney stones, symptoms and the best treatment for kidney stone.
For any health-related information, you can refer Dixithealthlearning