MEANING OF BRONCHITIS
Chronic Bronchitis meaning – It is a medical condition that is characterized by inflammation in the inner lining of bronchial tubes with swelling in tissue that narrow or close off the bronchial tube.The bronchial tube carries air to and from your lungs.People who are suffering from bronchitis having the cough with thickened mucus which can be discolored or colored.
As we all know that air population is raising day by day which affects in many ways. It is also a reason for bronchitis.People who expose more to high air pollution area, smoking primary or secondary, inhaling irritating fumes or dust generally cause Bronchitis.
After the complete reading of this articles, you all will come to know about the Chronic Bronchitis Meaning, types of bronchitis, cause, and complication of bronchitis and treatment of Bronchitis.
What are the Types of Bronchitis
There are two kinds of Bronchitis
- Acute Bronchitis
- Chronic Bronchitis
Meaning of Acute Bronchitis – Acute Bronchitis is the inflammation of Bronchi that is short-lived means bronchitis last for less than 3 weeks and people recover with no permanent damage of bronchi, bronchioles, and alveoli.
It is virus-like – Influenza, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) and Rhinovirus cause Acute Bronchitis.
What are the symptoms of Acute Bronchitis
There are some of the most common symptoms are as follows-
- Cheel and Malaise
Know about Chronic Bronchitis Meaning
Chronic Bronchitis is characterized by the production of a cough that occurs every day with sputum and lasts for at least 3 months, two-year row.
Chronic Bronchitis is the inflammation of bronchi along with swelling and mucus production.
Due to inflammation of the lining of bronchi, there are certain changes occurs in the inner cells that are called Ciliated cells and Ciliated cells lose their function.The Ciliated cells help in the clearance of secretion, are replaced by goblet cells.Goblet cells secrete mucous and color of mucus change because of infection.
The inflammation, swelling and frequent mucus production cause narrowing and partially obstruct the Bronchi and bronchioles.
What is the Cause of Chronic Bronchitis
- According to statistics from US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, the main cause of Chronic Bronchitis is smoking cigarette because 49% of smoker develop Chronic Bronchitis.
- Exposure to Irritant or pollutant like -smog,industrial pollutant ,sulfur,chlorine etc…
- Gastric Reflux
- Primary and Secondary smoking.
What is the Sign and Symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis
There are following sign and symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis-
- The most common symptoms of chronic Bronchitis is a cough and sputum production that usually last for at least 3 months. Sputum may be yellowish, greenish, clear or occasionally blood with yellow sputum.
- Dyspnea- Dyspnea is the shortness of Breath.
- Wheezing- Wheezing is the whistling sound production when airway partially obstructed.
- Shore Throat
When symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis got worse or more frequent cause Exacerbation.
Sign and Symptoms of Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis-
- Chest Pain that happens because of a severe cough which causes chest discomfort.
- Fever may indicate a secondary viral or bacterial lung infections.
Exacerbation generally requires antibiotics.
I guess that after reading this articles you can understand the Chronic bronchitis meaning, how and why chronic bronchitis occurs, their sign and symptoms.
What is the Treatment of Chronic Bronchitis
As we read that smoking is the major cause of Chronic Bronchitis, So first to advised to stop smoking. There are two class of medication are used to treat Chronic Bronchitis-
- Bronchodilators– It is a class of medications that relax the smooth muscles of bronchi which allow the inner airway to expand.
- Steroids– Steroid reduces the inflammatory reaction and hence reduce swelling and secretion which allow better airflow.
What is the complication due to Chronic Bronchitis
There are many complications are associated with Chronic Bronchitis if it is not treated well over time.
- Dyspnea – Dyspnea is the shortness of breath.
- Respiratory failure.
- Pneumothorax- Pneumothorax is the condition when the collection of air or gas in Lungs that cause lungs collapse.
- Polycythemia- When the abnormally high concentration of red blood cells occurs to carry oxygen.
As you all know that prevention is better than cure, so keep this thing in mind I have written this articles which will give you complete knowledge means Acute Bronchitis meaning, Chronic Bronchitis meaning, cause, complication, and treatment. So that every individual takes care.
If you are facing this problem speak to your consultant Doctors to get treated well on time.