MEANING OF BRONCHITIS
Chronic Bronchitis meaning – It is a medical condition that is characterized by inflammation in the inner lining of bronchial tubes with swelling in tissue that narrow or close off the bronchial tube. The bronchial tube carries air to and from your lungs. People who are suffering from bronchitis having the cough with thickened mucus which can be discolored or colored.
Bronchitis is swelling of the bronchial lining. Bronchi are large tubes that carry air from the nose into the lungs. When the lining of bronchi is irritated, it swells and turns thicker shutting off the tiny airways in the lungs and results in a cough and breathlessness.
The chronic bronchitis is estimated to affect 14.84 million people in India.
As we all know that air population is raising day by day which affects in many ways. It is also a reason for bronchitis. People who expose more to high air pollution area, smoking primary or secondary, inhaling irritating fumes or dust generally cause Bronchitis.
After the complete reading of these articles, you all will come to know about the Chronic Bronchitis Meaning, types of bronchitis, cause, and complication of bronchitis and treatment of Bronchitis.
What are the Types of Bronchitis
There are two kinds of Bronchitis
- Acute Bronchitis
- Chronic Bronchitis
Meaning of Acute Bronchitis – Acute Bronchitis is the inflammation of Bronchi that is short-lived means bronchitis last for less than 3 weeks and people recover with no permanent damage of bronchi, bronchioles, and alveoli.
In this type of bronchitis, swelling of the bronchi is caused by a virus or bacteria which lasts for less than three weeks. This is accompanied by various symptoms such as a cough, mucus production, wheezing and chest pain.
It is virus-like – Influenza, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) and Rhinovirus cause Acute Bronchitis.
What are the symptoms of Acute Bronchitis
There are some of the most common symptoms are as follows-
- A cough
- Cheel and Malaise
- Chest Congestion
- Shortness of Breath
Know about Chronic Bronchitis Meaning
It is defined as a productive cough that usually lasts for at least three months. Recurring bouts of the disease can occur for at least two consecutive years. This is usually caused by inhaled pollutants and produces a cough with sputum which can be white, yellow or green in color. This problem lasts for more than three months or even more than a year. It is one of the conditions in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Chronic Bronchitis is characterized by the production of a cough that occurs every day with sputum and lasts for at least 3 months, two-year row.
Chronic Bronchitis is the inflammation of bronchi along with swelling and mucus production.
Due to inflammation of the lining of bronchi, there are certain changes occurs in the inner cells that are called Ciliated cells and Ciliated cells lose their function. The Ciliated cells help in the clearance of secretion, are replaced by goblet cells. Goblet cells secrete mucous and color of mucus change because of infection.
The inflammation, swelling and frequent mucus production cause narrowing and partially obstruct the Bronchi and bronchioles.
I am sure that you will get complete information about Chronic Bronchitis Meaning and related information.
What is the Cause of Chronic Bronchitis
- According to statistics from the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, the main cause of Chronic Bronchitis is smoking cigarette because 49% of smoker develop Chronic Bronchitis.
- Exposure to Irritant or pollutant like -smog,industrial pollutant ,sulfur,chlorine etc…
- Gastric Reflux
- Primary and Secondary smoking.
What is the Sign and Symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis
There are following sign and symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis-
- The most common symptoms of chronic Bronchitis is a cough and sputum production that usually last for at least 3 months. Sputum may be yellowish, greenish, clear or occasionally blood with yellow sputum.
- Dyspnea- Dyspnea is the shortness of Breath.
- Wheezing- Wheezing is the whistling sound production when airway partially obstructed.
- A cough
- Shore Throat
- A headache
When symptoms of Chronic Bronchitis got worse or more frequent cause Exacerbation.
Sign and Symptoms of Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis-
- Chest Pain that happens because of a severe cough which causes chest discomfort.
- Fever may indicate a secondary viral or bacterial lung infections.
Exacerbation generally requires antibiotics.
I guess that after reading these articles you can understand the Chronic bronchitis meaning, how and why chronic bronchitis occurs, their sign and symptoms.
Factors that enhance your risk of bronchitis include:
- Reduced body immunity especially in the elderly, infants and young children
- The environment of the cigarette smoke and other irritants
- Repeated episodes of severe heartburn (gastric reflux)
What is the Treatment and Prevention of Chronic Bronchitis
As we read that smoking is the major cause of Chronic Bronchitis, So first to advised to stop smoking. There are two class of medication are used to treat Chronic Bronchitis-
- Bronchodilators– It is a class of medications that relax the smooth muscles of bronchi which allow the inner airway to expand.
- Steroids– Steroid reduces the inflammatory reaction and hence reduce swelling and secretion which allow better airflow.
Prevention For Chronic Bronchitis
To reduce the risk of bronchitis, follow these tips:
- Wash hands frequently
- Reduce or avoid cigarette smoking as well as exposure to the cigarette smoke
- Avoid contact with an infected person
- Wear a face mask at public places to keep away environmental irritants and infections
What is the complication due to Chronic Bronchitis
There are many complications are associated with Chronic Bronchitis if it is not treated well over time.
- Dyspnea – Dyspnea is the shortness of breath.
- Respiratory failure.
- Pneumothorax- Pneumothorax is the condition when the collection of air or gas in Lungs that cause lungs collapse.
- Polycythemia- When the abnormally high concentration of red blood cells occurs to carry oxygen.
Points to Remember
- Quit cigarette smoking and avoid inhaling the cigarette smoke
- Get flu vaccination
- Keep yourself away from irritants such as dust, fumes, etc.
- Hand washing is the single most important action to stop spreading of the viral infections
As you all know that prevention is better than cure, so keep this thing in mind I have written this articles which will give you complete knowledge means Acute Bronchitis meaning, Chronic Bronchitis meaning, cause, complication, and treatment. So that every individual takes care.
If you are facing this problem speak to your consultant Doctors to get treated well on time.