Symptoms, Treatment and Causes of Bronchial Asthma
Bronchial Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease of the airways or lungs which cause airway path of lungs to swell and narrow.Due to swelling, the bronchi or air tube produce more mucus making it hard to breathe and finally, it leads to coughing, wheezing, and short breath. As it is chronic diseases but it can be the cure and managed that is why you should know the causes of bronchial asthma.
According to study, Bronchial Asthma is a serious worldwide problem. 5% to 10% of all age suffer from this chronic airway disorder.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2696883/
Causes of Bronchial Asthma-
As there are many causes of Bronchial Asthma.Lets first understand the mechanism how Bronchial Asthma Develop.
- Contraction of Bronchial smooth muscles- A genetic predisposition or genetic susceptibility towards the production of IgE antibodies from mast cells that includes tryptase, prostaglandins that directly narrow the smooth muscles of Bronchi. A study also revealed that use f Aspirin or Nonsteroid inflammatory drugs also contract the smooth muscles of the airway. In addition to that cold air and irritant also contract smooth muscles.
- Edema or Swelling of airway or bronchi walls- Due to persistent inflammation and mucus production edema occurs in the air tube wall. It is also the cause of Bronchial Asthma.
- Airway or Brochi Remodeling – Airway remodeling is associated with progressive loss of Lungs functions, activation of structural cells, and structural changes. The structural changes include thickening of epithelial membrane, membrane fibrosis, blood vessel proliferation etc. These are also the cause of Bronchial Asthma.
Causes of Bronchial Asthma also depends on the following factors –
- Sex – The prevalence of Bronchial Asthma is higher in boys at the early stage of life but at the puberty, it is found more in women.
- Genetic susceptibility-Genetic susceptibility also includes the Cause of Bronchial Asthma.The role of genetics in IgE antibodies productions, regulation and dysfunctions of the inflammatory mediators like growth factors, Cytokines and Chemokines etc.
- External Factors –There are two major external factors play the major role in the cause of bronchial asthma- Air pollutants or allergens and Viral respiratory infections.
- Air pollutants or allergens – Pollen, home dust mate and animal danders play role in the development of Bronchial Asthma.Ther are few study shows that dos and cat exposure in the early stage can be one of the reasons for asthma.
- Viral Respiratory Infection – RSV(Respiratory syncytial virus) – cause bronchiolitis, Rhinovirus it also causes wheezing.
- Othe Environmental Factors – It includes smoking, air pollution, tobacco also increase the risk for bronchial asthma.
An association of low intake of omega-3 fatty acids also been observed as one of the factor or cause of bronchial asthma.
Symptoms of Bronchial Asthma –
As you all read and increase your understanding of bronchial asthma, prevalence and cause of bronchial asthma, now let’s understand the symptoms of it-
- A cough – Cough can be dry or productive and is mainly seen in early morning or night.
- Chest Congestion – Chest congestion or pain along with other symptoms of asthma.
- Difficulty in breathing – It generally happens because of mucus plugging.
- Wheezing – Wheezing is the sound of the chest due to difficult respiration.
- Increased Pulse – It happens with severe asthma.
- Bluish discoloration of lips and face (It also a symptom of severe Bronchial Asthma)
- Decreased level of consciousness (It also a symptom of severe Bronchial Asthma)
Symptoms differ from person to person, it depends on the condition means mild or severe. Usually, bronchial Asthma is incurable but there are many ways to prevent.
Treatment of Bronchial Asthma-
Even Bronchial Asthma is incurable but it can be managed or prevent with better treatment.The right medication or treatment depends on the – age, symptoms or triggers of Asthma.
- Inhaler ( That is corticosteroids) – It is an anti-inflammatory drug include (budesonide, fluticasone). It has lower side effects even it is corticosteroids.
- Leukotriene modifiers – Oral medication like montelukast, Zafirlukast helpful to provide relief from Asthma symptoms for up to 24 hrs.
- Combination inhalers – Like Fluticasone-salmeterol, budesonide-formoterol, these are beta blockers along with corticosteroids, it may increase your risk of Asthma attack.
- Short-Acting Beta-agonist – It is quick relief bronchodilator which acts within minutes during the asthma attack.
- Allergy medication is also very helpful if your asthma is triggered by allergies.
If you have any problem or symptoms seems to be like this …immediately contact your health provider and speak to him/her for better treatment.