HOW TO GET FAST RELIEF FROM CONSTIPATION
Are you suffering from constipation? Are you looking for the best way to get fast constipation relief? You are not the only one who is suffering from constipation, as constipation is one of the most common medical conditions.
If you are reading this articles means you have constipation as I guess and you are looking for the best way to get fast relief from constipation.
This article contains the following point-
- What is constipation
- Symptoms of constipation
- Causes of Constipation
- Constipation Risk Factor
- How to get fast relief from constipation??
What Is Constipation
Constipation is a very common bowel movement problem. It is not a disease but a symptom in which a person experiences infrequent stools or faces and difficulty in passing them. In general, a person is called constipated if he/she does not have spontaneous (by itself, without medicines) defecation (discharge of feces from the body) i.e less than 3 times a week. Constipation may occur very commonly, but if the problem persists very frequently for several weeks or more it is considered to be chronic
According to the American Gastroenterological Association -Constipation has different meaning and it varies from person to person-
- Defecation of stool three or less than three in a week.
- Hardening in the stool.
- Feeling of incomplete evacuation.
- Infrequent bowel movement and sensation means -want to do stool pass but can’t.
- Constipation should be suspected if three or more days pass between stool pass.
Symptoms of Constipation
Below are the signs and symptoms of constipation:
- Less frequent bowel movements i.e. less than three bowel movements in one week.
- Difficulty in passing stools
- Hard stools
- Abdominal discomfort/ pain
- Bloating (with flatulence, gas or wind)
- Bleeding anus due to passing hard stools
- The sense of incomplete removal after the bowel movement
What Causes Constipation
Before getting knowledge about the way to get fast constipation relief, we should understand the cause of constipation.
In most cases, constipation is symptoms, not a disease. Most people face episodic constipation that can be corrected by lifestyle or dietary changes.
The most common cause of constipation is as follow-
- Dietary habits – Poor diet is the most common cause of constipation, major population adds animal fat like – meat, dairy products, egg and refined sugar, spicy and fried foods in the diet which causes constipation.
- Poor Bowel Habit- There are people who ignore the urge to have stool pass because they avoid using public toilets, others because they are too busy with their work. After a period of times, people do not feel the urge to toilet. This leads to constipation.
- Travel-People who often do traveling experiencing constipation because of change in lifestyle, diet and drinking water.
- Medication – There are many medicines which cause constipation like- antispasmodic drugs, anti-depressant drugs, iron supplements, calcium channel blocker, anti-Parkinson drugs etc…
- Pregnancy –Pregnancy is another common cause of constipation, it generally occurs due to some hormonal changes.
- Less Intake of Liquid – Insufficient intake of liquids like water and juices
- Lifestyle Changes – Change in routine or lifestyle, such as a change in eating habits
- No, and Less physical activity
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome may result in spasm in the colon, slowing down the movement of food through the digestive tract.
Less Common Cause of Constipation-
- Loss of body salt- The loss of body salt through kidney or diarrhea, vomiting is another cause of constipation.
- Hormonal Disturbance –Either in stress or any other condition like underactive thyroid gland can cause constipation.
- Laxative Abuse-There is people who take a large amount of Laxative become dependent on it and finally intestine becomes insensitive for fail to work properly.
Following factors may increase the risk of constipation:
- Gender: Women are more prone to constipation as compared to men
- Avoiding passing stools may eventually result in not feeling to pass stools, leading to many complications
- Long traveling hours disturbs digestive system
- Eating excess of dairy products
Complication due to Constipation
If you continue to have constipation and do not pass the stool, then it could lead to the most serious condition. This is the most important reason to know the best way for fast constipation relief.
If constipation persists for the longer period of time and you do not feel fast relief from constipation then all those toxins, harmful germs, and dead cells of stools will be left in your body which will cause problems-
- Bowel incontinence (the leakage of liquid stools)
- Anal bleeding resulted from tearing of the soft tissues around the anus (fissure)
- Inconsistent stool i.e. hard stool or immediately getting uncontrollable loose stool
- Rectal prolapsed, a condition in which the lower part of the intestine projects out from the anus
How To Get Fast Relief From Constipation
There are many ways to get fast relief from constipation which will improve your quality of life-
- Eat More Fibers – In constipation, people are advised to increased fiber intake, fiber intake increase the bulk because it absorbs more water and increase the pressure on the stools and also transfer the water to the stool and finally stool becomes soften and improve stool frequency.
- Do Exercise- There are recently randomized controlled study was done on constipated people having IBS found that exercise gives fast relief from constipation. Source-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21206488/
- Increase Intake of Water –Dehydration also makes stool harder and there is also a way to take more water intake to smoothen the stool that will help us in stool pass.
- Drink Caffeinated Coffee- Caffeinated Coffee stimulates the gut muscles and increases the urge to go to the bathroom. According to study caffeinated coffee effect or give fast constipation relief 60% more than drinking water and 23% more than decaffeinated coffee respectively.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
- Add Probiotics or Probiotics supplements to your Food- People having constipation found that bacterial imbalance in their gut. Probiotics help in maintaining the good and bad bacterial count in the gut and it produces lactic acid and short chain fatty acid which improve gut movement and making it easier to pass to the stool.
- Prescription Laxative-There is the laxative medicine that Doctors prescribe to the patients to treat constipation are as – 1. Bulk Agent 2. Stool Softener 3.Stimulative laxative 4. Osmotic Laxative
- Try To Use Low FODMAP-FODMAP Stand for -Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, and Polyols. Constipation can be the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS). Low FODMAP diet is useful to treat IBS.
- Use of Magnesium Citrate-Magnesium Citrate is an osmotic laxative, which is useful to treat constipation, It is available over the counter. It should not be used in the higher dose.
- Eat Prunes- Prunes are fruits which provides the improvement in constipation. Eat Prunes or prunes juice which contain Sorbitol. Sorbitol is a Laxative. It helps in getting fast relief from constipation. If you have IBS problem then you need to avoid it because it comes under high FODMAP.
Points to Remember
- Three times a day to three times a week is considered normal frequency. Less than that is constipation and more than that, diarrhea
- Constipation is a common problem which everybody experiences at a certain time
- Set a proper time for meals
- Workouts and yoga may help to prevent constipation
- If constipated, don’t start having a sudden high-fiber diet as it may cause gas and bloating, so start slowly
- A regular bowel habit is a good habit.
- See a doctor on noticing an unusual and prolonged change in the bowel movement
Constipation is a symptom, not diseases which alter the quality of life. If you have constipation and it persists for a longer period of time, you should speak to your Doctors to get fast constipation relief.