Iron deficiency anemia is the condition when the level of hemoglobin is decreased in your RBC( Red Blood Cells). Hemoglobin is a protein which is found in RBC and is responsible for carrying oxygen to the Body. Hemoglobin contains iron molecule but in the absence of iron molecule hemoglobin does not form and its level gets decreased and the condition is called Iron deficiency anemia. It can be cured with proper treatment i.e iron deficiency anemia treatment.
Anemia affects one-fourth population of the world and iron deficiency is the main cause.
Anemia is more common in women than in men. It is more in women because of heavy iron deficiency during menstrual cycle and pregnancy.
According to American Society of Hematology(ASH), most people do not realize the anemia in the early stage until or unless they do not go through routine blood checkup.
If anyone having anemia they may feel or experience the following symptoms-
Weakness, Fatigueness, Dizziness, Irregular Heart Beat, Pale or Yellowish skin, Headache, Shortness of breath, lack of concentrations and many more.
IRON DEFICIENCY ANEMIA TREATMENT
Treatment for iron deficiency anemia is differed from person to person according to the severity of the problem. Iron deficiency anemia treatment is required to bring back the hemoglobin level in RBC for proper functioning.
1.Dietary Modification – If you are suffering from anemia you need to change your diet plan or diet chart. Add the foods which contain the adequate amount of iron for fast recovery. Add foods like – Red Meat, Spinach, Broccoli, lentils, beans, nuts, dried fruits, brown rice, raw milk, yogurt, soybean etc.
2.Iron Supplements – When iron deficiency or anemia is moderate to severe then the iron supplement is needed to your body along with proper diet. The iron supplement is generally being recommended by Doctors for the fast recovery and prevent the worsening iron deficiency anemia.
Vitamin C should add to your diet along with iron supplement as vitamin C is very helpful for the proper iron absorption.
3.Blood Transfusion – In severe cases, blood transfusion is required to maintain the hemoglobin level in blood. Blood transfusion is done through IV.
4. Iron therapy – Iron therapy is being done when patients are in severe condition and do not take oral medication or having other medical conditions. In iron therapy, the iron supplement is injected through intravenous into the blood vessel.
You have learned about the different and best way for iron deficiency anemia treatment. All the above way is useful but uses are depends on the condition of anemia.
FOODS ARE NOT GOOD FOR ANEMIA
There are foods which should be avoided if you are suffering from anemia, as it affects negatively to the individual.
- Beverages – Coffee, Balck tea, green tea should be avoided because it contains tannins which hinder the absorption of iron.
- Alcohol – Alcohol intake should be avoided as it affects the absorption of folate. Folate is also a cause of folate deficiency anemia.
- Phylate Rich Food – Avoid the food which is rich in phytate, it also affect the absorption of iron into the bloodstreams.
CAUSES OF IRON DEFICIENCY ANEMIA
There are three major causes of iron deficiency anemia
- Inadequate iron intake – The Inadequate amount of iron intake for the longer period of time is the main cause of iron deficiency anemia. People should eat foods which contain iron for the preventions . Iron is essential at the time of developement, pregnancy and to young children.
- Poor Iron Absorption – There are many cases where iron deficiency occurs because of poor iron absorption. There are some cases like the individual having gastrointestinal disorder or surgery they limit the iron absorption in that cases or normally also people should add Vitamin C, as it is very helpful for the absorption of Iron.
- Heavy Blood Loss – There are cases like – Heavy Menstrual Cycle, Pregnancy delivery when a large amount of blood loss occurs can cause iron deficiency anemia.
RISK FACTORS FOR ANEMIA
There are many cases where there are more chances to get anemia-
- Pregnant Women
- People who donate blood frequently
- People having the poor diet
- Infant or premature birth baby
Apart from the above-mentioned condition, if you have the following chronic problems then there is a good chance of iron deficiency anemia –
- Autoimmune disorder
- Gastrointestinal (Liver Diseases)
- Thyroid diseases.
This article speaks about the anemia, symptoms of anemia, causes of anemia and iron deficiency anemia treatment. I hope after reading this article your understanding will get improve.
Your suggestions and feedback are very precious to serve you better.