High Blood Pressure is the condition when blood meet with resistance in the arteries while flowing from the heart to the organs through arteries. Narrower arteries higher the blood pressure. Over the period of time, high blood pressure cause many unhealthy conditions like – Heart Diseases, Kidney Problem, Eyes problems and many more. That is why for the preventive action everybody should know the symptoms of high blood pressure.
Early detection of high blood pressure through symptoms of high blood pressure can prevent the complication that generally arises due to hypertension. Awareness about the diseases is the first step towards prevention.
Reading of Blood Pressure – There are two kinds of reading which indicate about the High Blood pressure.
Systolic pressure – It is the pressure in the arteries when heart contract and push blood through the arteries for the organs. Systolic reading is the upper reading.120mmHg is the normal Systolic reading.
Diastolic Pressure – It is the pressure in the arteries when heart relax.80mmHg is the normal Diastolic reading. It is the bottom reading.
Normal Blood Pressure Reading- 120mmHg/80mmHg
American College of Cardiology reveals the guideline in 2017 According to this –
Normal Blood Pressure – 120/80
Elevated Blood Pressure – 129/80
High Blood Pressure – Greater than equal to 130/80
SYMPTOMS OF HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE –
In the early stage of Blood pressure, most of the people do not experience the symptoms. It takes a year or a decade to feel the symptoms. That is why High Blood pressure is called ” Silent Killer”
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure after a year or decades are as follows –
- Blurred Vission
- Irregular Heart Beat
- Increased Heart Beat
- Shortness of Breath
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure to newborn and very young babies are as –
- Respiratory Diseases
Any person who diagnosed with High Blood Pressure or having symptoms of High Blood pressure they should check their blood pressure regularly.
Causes of High Blood Pressure or Hypertension-
Every organ of the body requires oxygenated blood for their survival or for the proper function. The heart pumps the oxygenated blood to the organ and blood goes through arteries. The pumping of blood creates pressure.
If anybody has high blood pressure means the wall of arteries feels or face more pressure on a regular basis. It also affects the activity of the heart because the heart has to put more pressure on proper pumping.
Even Though there is no identifiable cause for High B.P but there are many factors which have a strong relation with High Blood Pressure-
- Genetic Inheritance – If your family had problems with High Blood Pressure then there is more chance of high blood pressure for you.
- Obesity – Both overweight and Obese people have more chance to develop high blood pressure, In obese people, there are a large amount of cholesterol is deposited into arteries which narrow to your arteries and increase blood pressure.
- Gender – It has found that High blood pressure is more common in men compared to women but after 60years chances are equal.
- Alcoholism – It has found that the people who drink alcohol regularly have higher systolic pressure than the people who do not drink.
- Fat Diet – Eating fat is not good for Health. Eating saturated fats from the nut, olive oils, omega oils are good but trans fats, animal fat is bad for you.
- Diabetes –People having diabetes has the higher chance of High Blood Pressure than normal people. Type 2 Diabetes people have the higher risk because of increase increased level of glucose level.
- Stress – In many research it has found that stress has a strong relation to hypertension.The more you stress more chance to get High Blood Pressure.
- Smoking – Smoking causes narrow blood vessel leads to higher blood pressure .Smoking reduce the oxygen that is why heart pump blood faster than normal for required oxygen.
- People who do not do physical activity has more chance of high blood pressure than people who do not do exercise.
- The woman who is pregnant is more prone to high B.P than the same age of women who are not pregnant.
Complication Due to High Blood Pressure –
If high Blood pressure is not treated well on time, it damages the wall of arteries and causes cardiovascular diseases.
Complications depend on the severity and from how many years high B.P is. There are the following complication are as follows-
- Heart Diseases
- Blood Clot
- Kidney Problem
- Blurred Vission
- Memory Problem
Diagnosis of High Blood Pressure –
High Blood pressure can be diagnosed in many ways. In diagnosis, people measure the systolic and diastolic pressure
Systolic Pressure -It is the pressure in arteries when the heart contracts. Normal reading 120mmHg
Diastolic Pressure – It is the pressure in the arteries when the heart relaxes. Its Normal reading is 80mmHg.
There are many ways to diagnosis are as follows –
- Sphygmomanometer – It is the equipment which gives the reading of systolic and diastolic pressure, Manually sphygmomanometer is often used with the stethoscope. Now digital Sphygmomanometer who measure pressure without a stethoscope.
There is another test to diagnose High BP
- Exercise Stress Test
- Urine or blood Test.
Treatment of High Blood Pressure
Treatment of High Blood Pressure or Hypertension depends on the severity, associated factors like cardiovascular Diseases.
High Blood Pressure can be managed and controlled with medication along with lifestyle and dietary modifications
Lifestyle can reduce your High Blood Pressure.
- Regular exercise – Every day 30-60 minutes exercise for a week reduce your hypertension 4-8mmHg.In this way, you can reduce your High B.P with your daily exercise.
- Reduce your body Weight –Body weight has a significant relation with hypertension. That is why you should know the way to reduce body weight to control High B.P
- Proper Sleep – If you do sleep properly you have a lesser chance to get the High BP.So take proper sleep.
- Add Potassium in your diet which is helpful to reduce high blood pressure -Fruits which contain potassium are as – Banana, Melon, Spinach, Orange and many more.
- Reduce salt intake which is also helpful to reduce you Blood Pressure.
Preventive Measures For Hypertension
There are following things that are very helpful to control your hypertension
Reduce and Manage your stress – Through Yoga, Meditation and other relaxing techniques you can reduce your stress.
Eat A Healthy Diet – You should eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables which contain nutrients such as potassium and fibers.
Limit Intake of Sodium – Total daily intake of sodium chloride from all sources should not be more than 5 gm per day. Be aware that many processed foods are high in sodium. Avoid or reduce pickles, papad and sauces all are the high sources of sodium.
Limit the Intake of Food High in Saturated Fats – Limit or reduce the intake of trans fat in your diet.
Be Physically Active –Physical activity can help lower blood pressure. Adults should engage in the moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes per day.
Do not Use Tobacco – Smoking injures the blood vessel and speeds up the hardening of arteries. Smoking is a major risk factor for heart diseases and stroke.
Maintain Healthy Body Weight – Being overweight can raise blood pressure.
In this articles, I have mentioned the causes, complications, symptoms of high blood pressure and preventive measures for hypertension.
It has been observed that your lifestyle and diet plays an important role to control or raise the chance of blood Pressure or Hypertension. Here you will also know how your lifestyle can reduce High Blood Pressure.
If you have symptoms as mentioned above then you should speak to your consultant to get early treatment.