Pneumonia Symptoms, cause, and treatment in Kids
According to data revealed by UNICEF Pneumonia is a life-threatening disease which leads to the death of kids under age of Five – https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-health/pneumonia. Pneumonia is an infection in one or both lungs including the respiratory tract, bronchi, and alveoli. Pneumonia in kid or adult can be caused by the germ of Bacteria, Virus, Fungi etc. Generally, Pneumonia occurs after the infection of the upper respiratory tract.This cause fluid to collect in the lungs which makes hard to breath. Pneumonia can affect people of all age group but it is more common for kids.That is why you should know about the cause and symptoms of Pneumonia in Kids as well as how it is treated.
What Is Pneumonia In Kids –
Pneumonia occurs because of infection in upper respiratory tract or lungs caused by the virus, bacteria, fungi or chemical irritants and hence mucus starts to accumulate in lungs alveoli thereby lungs do not perform their work and reduce the amount of oxygen that is supplied into the body and hence kids faces problems in breathing.
Bacteria that cause Pneumonia
Viruses that cause Pneumonia
- Influenza Virus
- Rhino Virus
- Adeno Virus
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus
There are certain conditions which can develop Pneumonia in Kids-
- If kids grow up in the family where there is the chain smoker, Kids inhale the smoke passively can cause Pneumonia.
- Poor nutrition brings down the immunity of kids and those kids are more susceptible to Pneumonia.
- Children having genetic problem like- stickle-cell-anemia
- Children having cardiovascular defects.
- Children who have taken premature Birth.
Symptoms of Pneumonia in Kids-
Pneumonia in kids can be mild, moderate, severe or life-threatening and hence you should aware of the symptoms of pneumonia in kids.
Symptoms of Mild pneumonia in Kids-
It is not dangerous for the kids but early prevention is better than the cure.
- A dry Cough
- A headache
- Low Fever
- Low appetite
Symptoms of Moderate Pneumonia in Kids-
- A cough
- Soare Throat
- Congestion in Nose
- Loss of Appetite
Symptoms of Severe Pneumonia in Kids-
If you observe the symptoms of severe Pneumonia in your child, immediately speak to your consultant and take advice because severe pneumonia can cause the death or it requires hospitalization depend on the situation of kids.
- High Fever
- A cough with yellowish or greenish mucus
- Stomach pain due to a consistent cough
- Difficulty in breathing because of mucus accumulation in lungs
- Loss of appetite
- Nasal Congestion.
- A sound of breathing.
Diagnosis of Pneumonia in Kids-
When your consultant Doctors will suspect the symptoms of pneumonia in kids.He or she will do one or more test like-
- X-Ray of Chest – It reveals the infection status how badly it is.
- Mucus or Sputum sample test – It gives the idea of kind of infection.
- Pulse Oximetry– It is used to measure the amount of oxygen in your child blood.
Treatment of Pneumonia in Kids-
If any child suffering from severe pneumonia, consultant doctors or health care provider of your child can advise for the hospitalization based on the problems of breathing, lack of oxygen, high fever, dehydration. Health care provider generally use the following drugs or medicine-
- Acetaminophen- It decreases pain and fever but uses this medicine as per healthcare provider because more intake can cue liver damage.
- Antibiotics – It may be given due to bacterial infection.
- NSAID – NSAID means Non-Steroid anti-inflammatory drugs that can be used for pain relief and swelling.
- Your Kids may require oxygen if oxygen amount is lower than it should be.
I hope after the reading of this article you became aware of the symptoms of pneumonia in kids, how it can be treated under the guidance of health care provider as it is life-threatening diseases.Now you will know about the prevention that you should take care of your child.
There are ways through which Pneumonia can be prevented in Kids –
- Never give or mix your child with people having cold, cough infection.
- Develop hygiene habit of your child like -hand wash
- Ensure the smoke-free area where your child resides because it causes inflammation in the respiratory tract of the child.
- Plan a good diet chart for your baby to improve immunity.
- Rub garlic juice on the chest of your child that will clear the phlegm accumulated in chest and lungs.
- Steam inhalation will also give relief to your child.
- Vaccination in against of Pneumococcus and influenza.
- Breast Feeding -It increases the immunity of your child.
As you all know that prevention is better than cure, so take care of your child and prevent them from infection.Prevention always brings happiness to your baby and your home.