Did you know, that the prevalence of depression is about 15% of the world population. It is more common in women than in men. Depression is the most common mental disorder. Anti-depressant medication is generally used to treat the depression but it has adverse effect moreover antidepressant do not cure the depression, it only suppresses the symptoms. But, the good news is that there are natural remedies for depression which do not have side effect and also cure the depression of the root.
According to the Journal of medicine and life, depression will be the second cause of morbidity by 2020.
According to World Health of Organisation (WHO) 150 million people suffer from depression worldwide and this no. is increasing.
A Balance diet or Healthy diet provides all the required amino acids, minerals which balance the hormone and it is useful for depression.
Common Causes & Symptoms of Depression
Depression is the mental condition when people start feeling the low mood, low esteem, think suicidal, its all affects their daily life.
Causes of depression- There are many causes of depression which vary from individual to individual. These are causes of depression are as follows –
- Neurotransmitter imbalance
- Hormonal imbalance
- Nutritional deficiency
Depression is also associated with many conditions like- Depression associated with stress, Depression associated with diseases, History of family depression.
In addition to that, there are other factors which are closely associated with depressions are as follows-
- Loss of Job or social Harassment
- The side effect of Drugs.
- Chronic Diseases like – Rheumatoid arthritis
- Pre-menstrual syndrome
- Neurological Disorder.
Symptoms of Depressions
There are the following symptoms in depressions-
- Low mood
- Lack of sex drive
- A headache
- Helpless or hopeless feeling
- Sleep disorder
- Digestive problem
- Appetite problem
- Appetite changes
Natural Remedies For Depression
People having depression get treated with conventional treatment which includes anti-depressant medications. Anti-depressant medication is widely used for depression in selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It works as symptoms suppressor but does not cure the depression. If anyone is taking the anti-depressant for the longer period of time symptoms recur. In the long term, it has side effect like – weight gain, personality changes, suicidal thinking. To protect yourself from these side effect use natural remedies for depression.
Your discipline lifestyle and diet-style can cure your depression. There are natural remedies for depression but it does not act immediately, it takes time and need to follow it in your day to day routine.
1. Eat Healthy Diet – Healthy diet has a greater impact on your health and mood. Your diet or choice of diet decide your energy level, happiness, and appetite.
Add green and leafy vegetables( Broccoli, spinach, avocado, beans, mushrooms etc) fruits, fish in your diet as it contains abundant minerals, vitamin, and antioxidant which are very helpful to cure the depression. Avoid spicy, fried and packed foods .sweetner, Carb the carbohydrates, refined and sugar, avoid caffeine intake as it increases the risk of depression.
2. Omega-3-Fatty Acid- Your brain requires omega 3 fatty acid to perform better. Because brain lipid composes of fatty acid and out of this 1/3 of fatty acid belong to omega 3 fatty acid. There is food which contains omega 3 fatty acid are as – fish, walnut, flaxseed, egg yolk.
3. Fruits and Vegetables – Fruits and vegetables provide required nutrient which required to your brain and mood. Fruits and vegetables contain folate which improves the metabolic process of the brain. It has been found that folate deficiency also causes depression.Vegetables like – Broccoli,spinach,beets etc. Fruits and vegetables also provide the antioxidant.
4. St. John’s Wort – St John’s Wort is a herbal which is being used for the treatment of mild and moderate depression. It is found in Europe, West Asia, and North Africa.St.John’s Wort contains the chemical – hypericin, and hyperforin. This chemical work like an antidepressant. It blocks the reuptake of serotonin and serotonin receptor. Like other antidepressant St.John’s Wort also increase the serotonin. Serotonin is the feel-good factor. It has been seen that the serotonin level is very low in the people having the depression. Unlike another antidepressant, St. John’s Wort has no side effect. But before to start consulting with your Doctors to take the advice.
4. Avoid Carbohydrates, Refined and Sugar-Eating carbohydrates, refined and sugar can increase your body weight, the effect on your sleep, the low energy level which makes your depression symptoms worse.
To reduce the symptoms of depression and for your healthy brain and mood, you need to carb the carb and avoid the sugar, fried and packed foods.
5. Take Probiotics – Taking probiotics improves the health of your gut and there is the connection between the gut and brain. Probiotics improve the absorptions of nutrients, minerals and improve glycemic control. Due to which a spike of glucose level does not occur.Taking probiotics to improve the cognitive functions of the brain and reduce the depression.
6. Vitamin B Complex – Vitamin B is linked with neurotransmitter function. It has been found that a low level of folate and Vitamin B12 is also a reason for depression.
Vitamin B12 improves the neurological system and improve the energy level whereas folate is helpful for nutrients absorption. Thereby it reduces the irritability. Taking Vitamin B complex increase serotonin level and decrease the depression symptoms.
7. Cardamon – Cardamon is an aromatic spice. It is used to treat many problems like- depression, digestion, mood, nausea, vomiting since ancient. You can take 1/2 spoon of cardamon powder in warm water or milk. Cardamon oil is also available, you can also use that.
8. Cashews – It contains the abundant amount of nutrients, mineral, the vitamin which is required to your body for good health. Cashews contain Vitamin C which is good for the nervous system. It also contains riboflavin which boosts your energy level. Cashews also contain Vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, copper and phosphorus which is good for the depression. It also contains selenium and whole nutrients which is helpful to reduce the risk of depression.
9. Natural Herb – Natural Herb like Rhodiola and Ashwagandha is very helpful to reduce the effect of stress, anxiety, and depression.
10. Lavender Oil – Lavender oil is very useful in the case of stress, anxiety, and depression because of its sedative and calming properties. It provides relieves in stress and improves sleep.
All the above mentioned natural remedies for depression is very useful to treat the depression. Unlike antidepressant, Natural remedies for depression does not have any adverse effects.
Lifestyle changes to treat depression
- Exercise – Doing regular exercise or yoga boost your energy level, helps you to sleep better, and improve your confidence. Your regular exercise increases your happiness and reduces the symptoms of depression.
- Make the relationship with other & get support – It is found that depression is related to the emotional issues, it becomes worst due to lack of healthy relationship. lack of confidence. So find a friend and make the relationship with him or her and get the support.
You can also read –
- The most effective stress management activities for stress life.
- Anxiety Treatment without medication.