The word impotence means weakness or lack of power. Impotence in men is a condition characterized by either a complete inability to develop an erection of the penis or to maintain an erection of the penis for a longer time so that sexual intercourse can happen or inability to achieve the ejaculation during sexual activity. Every man should know about impotence, causes of impotence so that they can avoid or reduce the triggers so that they can be a healthy man.
This article will give you a complete insight about
- Impotence or Erectile Dysfunction.
- Symptoms of Impotence.
- Causes of Impotence (Erectile Dysfunctions).
- Risk Factors of Erectile Dysfunction.
- Complications of Impotence
- Management of Impotence
Symptoms of Impotence
Most common symptoms are:
- Difficulty in the erection of the penis
- Difficulty in maintaining the erection for a long time
- Inability to achieve ejaculation
- Less sexual desire
Causes of Impotence or Erectile Dysfunction
To get an erection, brain, nerves, hormone & blood vessels all need to work together.
Physical and Psychological Factors plays a major role in impotence.
Impotence or Erectile Dysfunction is commonly caused by Physical factors
- Heart disease – Heart Diseases decrease the blood flow in the penis and its cause impotence or erectile dysfunction.
- Diabetes – Diabetes can damage the nerve, blood vessels, muscles functions and decrease the blood supply and improve the chances of impotence or erectile dysfunction.
- kidney failure, neurological problems (for example, trauma from prostate surgery)
- Low levels of male hormones – Lower level of the male hormone testosterone is also one of the factors for impotence
- High blood pressure – High Blood pressure makes your arteries thicker and this can restrict the blood supply of penis which may cause erectile dysfunction or impotence.
- Excess alcohol- Alcohol is a depressant which affects the mood and reduces the sexual desire, which can cause erectile dysfunction.
- Old age
- Treatments for prostate cancer or an enlarged prostate (BPH)
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Sleep Disorder
Psychological causes of Impotence or Erectile Dysfunction
Psychological factors also play an important role in erectile dysfunction. These factors trigger the male hormone and increase the secretion which is helpful for the erection. Let’s know about these factors –
- Other health issues
- Relationship problem because of misunderstanding, poor communication or other things
Risk Factors of Erectile Dysfunction
A variety of risk factors can contribute to impotence, they are:
- Medical illnesses like diabetes
- Use of medications such as antidepressants etc
- Injuries or damage to nerves that control penis erections
- Prolonged bicycling
- Tobacco overuse
- Alcohol and drug overuse
Complications resulting from impotence include:
- Unsatisfactory sexual pleasure
- Marital problems
- Low self-confidence
Best way to prevent impotence are:
- Manage or treat other medical problems such as diabetes, heart problems, etc.
- Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol or narcotic drugs
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Exercise regularly to maintain a healthy weight and relieve stress
- Treatment of any underlying medical conditions, which is causing impotence
- Psychological counseling is needed when erectile dysfunction is caused by stress, anxiety or depression
- Medications like sildenafil (Viagra) are given to increase the blood flow to the penis that helps in maintaining an erection of the penis
- Surgery is done as a last resort
Points to Remember
- Avoid mental stress or anxiety
- Improve communication with your partner
- Quit smoking and alcohol
- Do regular exercise and yoga
You Can Also Read – How to Cure Erectile Dysfunction? 11 Best & Proven Methods Revealed!!